Bernie's Sexiest Girl

edited May 2012 in General
Kerr does have a way with words when it comes to describing the women that Bernie finds attractive but I think my favorite is Anna from "A Quiet Flame". Maybe it's because she's the one he interacts the most with in all the books and thus gets the described the most, but, as a man, I found her the sexiest.

Comments

• She was the youngest -- so that may have something to do with your choice. ;-) I think the relationship with Inge was the best. I don't know if she could be called the sexiest (though B.'s descriptions certainly made it sound that way) but it seems like they could have had a future together if she hadn't disappeared. She was about his age, independent, smart, brave, from a similar socioeconomic class, and available (unlike the Noreen). They seemed like real equals. Hard to say about Kirsten since the relationship had already soured when we meet her. I'd love to read about the beginning of their relationship and marriage... *fingers crossed*
  • Noreen does it for me. And I think he could get it on with Frau Adlon too. Frieda the former Olympic fencer, with whom he had casual relationship, seemed pretty cool.
  • >>> tomtuite
    Noreen does it for me. And I think he could get it on with Frau Adlon too. Frieda the former Olympic fencer, with whom he had casual relationship, seemed pretty cool.

Have you ever seen a photo of Hedda Adlon?

There's one here:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-13848C,_Louis_Adlon_mit_Gattin.jpg

Not Bernie's type I don't think... ha ha!!
  • I see what you mean. Still I like her character.
  • Yes, she's cool. In her later years she wrote a book about the Adlon and her years there. Sort of a memoir. I haven't seen it but I'd like to find a copy.

The relationship Kerr gives her and Bernie is very cool. You really FEEL that they like and respect each other intellectually and professionally, even though they are from totally different classes.
  • My question is why did Inge disappear? Whether she was a drug addict or not, what happened to her that afternoon in front of haupthandler's beach cottage? And what a strange thing for Kerr to do, to just whisk her out of the story like that. Maybe to give the reader a real sense of the devastation of disappearance, so common in nazi germany?
  • I would go with "The Lady from Zagreb" lady, Dalia. A movie star, and upstaging Goebells is hard to beat.
  • I think I´ll have to say Dalia, too!

/Peter