Ranking the books

edited May 2012 in General
I think I prefer the first three books to the last three. My least favorite is definitely "A Quiet Flame". I guess I'd rank them:

1 - The Pale Criminal
2 - March Violets
3 - A German Requiem
4 - The One From the Other
5 - If the Dead Rise Not
6 - A Quiet Flame

Comments

• Hmm... really hard because the second trilogy is a very different reading experience than the first trilogy. Partly it's Kerr's evolving style as a writer and partly it's a function of being more and more invested in Bernie's ongoing story. I guess I'm going with...

1 - A German Requiem
    2 - March Violets
    3 - The Pale Criminal
    4 - If the Dead Rise Not
    5 - A Quiet Flame
    6 - The One From the Other

But ask me again tomorrow and the list will probably be different... ;-)
  • Okay, I'm in.

March Violets
    A German Requiem
    A Quiet Flame
    If the Dead Rise Not
    The Pale Criminal
    The One From the Other
  • Interesting that people prefer the earlier books. For me it's just the opposite. The Dead Rise Not was the first one I read, and I'd still rank it highest, followed closely by One from the Other and Quiet Flame. Of the earlier Books I'd rate German Requiem highest. I did not like Field Grey as much and have yet to read the last one.
  • I came to this series late, after reading Alan Furst and also the Kurt Wallander series. I'm now ending with the first three BG titles, but I think I like Field Grey best for its sweep and its maturity of style.
  • I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND BESIDES HAVE'NT READ ALL BG' BOOKS, BUT SO FAR, I RANK FIELD GRAY, THE ONE FROM THE OTHER, A SWEET FLAME AND PRAGUE FATALE IN THAT ORDER, BUT FRANKLY , I ENJOYED TREMENDOUSLY READING ALL OF THEM AND INTEND TO READ ALL OF THEM.
  • I've read all but the new one (soon) and A Quiet Flame. I think If The Dead Rise Not, Field Grey and The One From The Other could take a run at the top spot in my book. I've yet to read a Gunther I haven't enjoyed.
  • Field Gray is an amazing tale and a good wrap-up of Gunther's post-WWII story. But this like comparing great wines, all are good.
  • I found that A quiet flame was most the most upsetting, the thought of jews escaping from Europe and then being treated like that was awful. I am re-reading the whole series of books again, and it still manages to discomfort me.